https://andersonscanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/BlackBean_Brownies.jpg 3024 4032 Ryan Mortier https://andersonscanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/andersons-logo-canada-3.png Ryan Mortier2017-03-27 12:49:282017-03-29 08:55:04Delicious brownies made from black beans – recipe
Delicious brownies made from black beans – recipe
Have you ever imagined you can make delicious brownies using dry black beans?
Here’s a recipe that will allow you do just that – and satisfy your sweet tooth at the same time.
Once you start working with dry beans, it’s a snap.
Pro Tip: You can always soak then cook your dry beans ahead of time, and then freeze them to use later or when you need them quickly.
First things first. Soak your beans.
Dry beans need to be soaked before cooking in order to replace moisture. Here are 3 methods to get this done.
- Quick soak: Bring 6 cups of cold water and 450 g (2 cups) of beans to a boil, cover and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Overnight soak: Let beans and water stand overnight. Drain.
- Microwave soak: Combine 6 cups (1.5 L) of hot water and 450 g (2 cups) of dry beans in a 8 qt. (8 L) microwaveable casserole dish. Cover and microwave at HIGH (100%) power for 15 minutes or until boiling. Let stand 1 hour. Drain.
Cook your beans.
To cook soaked beans, use 6 cups of fresh water for every 2 cups of soaked beans. Then follow one of these two methods:
- Conventional cooking: In a large saucepan, combine soaked beans and water. Cover and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer until fork tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Microwave cooking: In a 8 qt. (8 L) microwaveable casserole dish combine 6 cups (1.5 L) of water and 2 cups (450 g) of soaked beans
- 1080 mL (4.56 cups) of cooked black beans
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut or canola oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Rinse, soak and cook dry beans (see above soaking and cooking instructions for details).
- Cook beans until they are soft (see cooking method for details).
- Combine everything except chocolate chips in a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes.
- As soon as you take it out of the oven, sprinkle the topping (chocolate chips) on and they will melt.
Let cool completely before cutting.